Wolfpack tennis falls 5-4 to East CentralPublished 11:10am Thursday, February 20, 2014
Click here to subscribe and skip the survey.
DECATUR – In the first match of the year, the Co-Lin men’s tennis team dropped a hotly contested match 5-4 to host East Central. Three matches were decided by a tiebreaker in a match that took almost 7 hours to complete. Freshman Coleman Carraway of Brandon was the only player to win both of his matches recording a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles and an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles with partner Brandon Nettles of Wesson.
Other winners included Dwain Perkins of Natchez at No. 1 singles and Brock Smith of Wesson at No. 2 singles, both winning in third set tiebreakers. The No. 1 doubles team of Perkins and Graham Watson of Brookhaven lost 9-8 in a tiebreaker while the No. 2 doubles team of Brock Smith and Josh Smith of Wesson lost 8-5.
“I’m proud of this team’s effort today,” said Wolfpack head coach Brenda Smith. “Though we’re not pleased with the end result, I did see many positive signs to go along with some areas we need to work on.”
Co-Lin will host Itawamba on Friday, Feb. 21, beginning at 2 p.m.
1. Dwain Perkins (CL) def. Juan Miranda (ECCC) 5-7; 6-3; 10-6
2. Brock Smith (CL) def. Daniel Giles (ECCC) 4-6; 6-3; 10-6
3. Javon Yarbrough (ECCC) def. Graham Watson (CL) 6-2; 6-2
4. Brandon St. Clair (ECCC) def. Brandon Nettles (CL) 6-2 6-4
5. Coleman Carraway (CL) def. Ethan Rigdon (ECCC) 6-4; 6-4
6. Tanner Moore (ECCC) def. Josh Smith (CL) 6-4; 6-1
1. Miranda/Giles (ECCC) def. Perkins/Watson (CL) 9-8
2. Yarbrough/Moore (ECCC) def. Smith/Smith (CL) 8-5
3. Nettles/Carraway (CL) def. St. Clair/Rigdon (ECCC) 8-0