Daily Leader wins 16 awards in MPA advertising division competitionPublished 6:00am Sunday, February 9, 2014
Click here to subscribe and skip the survey.
The Daily Leader took home 16 awards from the Mississippi Press Association Better Newspaper Advertising Division Contest last week during the MPA Mid-Winter Conference in Jackson, including four first place honors.
The Daily Leader competed among daily papers with a circulation of less than 9,000.
First Place Awards
Kristi Carver, advertising department, received a first place award with the graphics department in the institutional ads – black and white category” for an advertisement congratulating the Brookhaven Academy Cougars football team on their 2012 state championship.
“Like the horizontal layout, which makes the ad stand out,” said the judges, adding, “Clean layout with balance.”
Sherri Mathis, advertising department, and Michael Granger, graphics, won a first place recognition in the “Small Space Advertisement in Color” competition for a Serenity Salon and Day Spa ad. The contest judges noted the ad featured a “nice layout with balanced copy. Nice use of space; not too busy.”
Mathis also won a first place award in the political advertisement – black and white category for a Heather White Martin for circuit clerk ad. “Great message – love the use of larger front and one main message,” said the judges.
Tracy McGuffee, advertising department, won a first place award in the series of ads category with the graphics department for Sidney’s Salon advertisements. The judges commented, “Well balanced copy with photo and just enough white space to catch the eye.”
Second Place Awards
• Carver and Granger, Sullivan Ford ad
• Carver and graphics for a series of Mr. Charley’s Fun Jumps ads
• McGuffee and Granger, Pasta Junction ad
• McGuffee and Granger, Dr. Joseph Garbo ad
• Daily Leader staff and Editor Rachel Eide for Focus Magazine
• Daily Leader staff and former Sports Editor Tom Goetz for Gridiron magazine
Third Place Awards
The Daily Leader received a third place overall award for advertising excellence among all small dailies.
Other third place awards included:
• Carver and graphics for a Guy’s Pharmacy ad
• Carver and Granger for a Stan King ad
• Mathis and graphics for an Expectations ad
• Daily Leader staff for the “Women in Business” special section.