Travel on I-55 South restricted to commercial traffic; closures listedPublished 1:14pm Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Click here to subscribe and skip the survey.
Mississippi Department of Transportation stated that travel on Interstate 55 South is restricted for commercial vehicles and trucks at this time due to icy road conditions in Copiah County.
MDOT also has issued the following report on weather-related road conditions as of 12:57 p.m. Wednesday for the following counties:
Adams, Amite, Claiborne, Clarke, Copiah, Covington, Forrest, Franklin, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Hinds, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Jones, Kemper, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lincoln, Marion, Neshoba, Newton, Pearl River, Perry, Pike, Rankin, Scott, Simpson, Smith, Stone, Walthall, Warren, Wayne and Wilkinson Counties.
The report specifically refers to the following interstates and highways: I-59, I-55, I-20, Highway 49, Highway 51, Highway 61, Highway 80, Highway 84 and Highway 98.
The public is encouraged to stay off roadways in these areas and limit travel only in case of emergency due to icy conditions. MDOT encourages the traveling public to pay attention to weather and travel advisories issued by the National Weather Service, local law enforcement and the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
MDOT is reporting these road and bridge closures:
• The Highway 84/61 (Natchez) Flyover Bridge in Adams County.
• Highway 513 at Highway 514 in Clarke County.
• I-59 northbound near the Lauderdale County line in Clarke County.
• The bridge to Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Copiah County.
• U.S. 49 S. from Highway 589 to Highway 42 in Covington County.
• I-59 at exit 60 in Forrest County, all lanes impassable.
• I-59 S at US 98 W/Hardy Street E exit 65 in Forrest County.
• State Road 42 (Evelyn Gandy Parkway) closed between Leeville Road and Old Richton Road in Forrest County.
• U.S. 90 Bay St. Louis Bridge in Hancock County.
• State Road 605 at the Wilkes Draw Bridge in Harrison County.
• The Popp’s Ferry Bridge in Harrison County.
• The Bayou Portage Bridge in Harrison County.
• The David Larosa Bridge in Harrison County.
• State Road 53 at Lizana School Road in Harrison County.
• The Highway 90 Biloxi-Ocean Springs Bridge in Harrison and Jackson Counties.
• Fort Bayou Draw Bridge on SR 609 in Jackson County.
• Highway 84 Bypass at Prentiss in Jefferson Davis County.
• I-59 exit ramps closed by City of Laurel at exits 93, 95C, 96B and 97 in Jones County.
• Mississippi 15 between MS 537 and Stringer in Jones County.
• Highway 42 west of New Hebron in Lawrence County.
• Highway 48 from Magnolia Progress Road to Magnolia city limits in Pike County.
• Highway 28 in Simpson County.
• Highway 35 from Highway 18 to Highway 481 in Smith County.